5* Lush is located on the Black Rhino Game Reserve – a private concession area within the malaria-free greater Pilanesberg National Park.
Lush Private LodgeLush is located on the Black Rhino Game Reserve – a private concession within the malaria-free greater Pilanesberg National Park (55 000ha/135 900ac). The park, encircled by the hills of a volcanic ring-dyke complex and containing both Kalahari and Lowveld biomes, is a wilderness Eden. Nearly all animal species endemic to Southern Africa are to be found here.
The development of the park is considered one of the most ambitious projects of its kind anywhere in the world. It began with Operation Genesis in 1979, which game-fenced the area and reintroduced long-vanished wildlife. Today, Pilanesberg is home to over 7 000 animals – including all of the Big Five, 25 other mammal species, 350-plus kinds of birds, and innumerable reptile and insect species.
As a guest of Lush, you are assured a private – and unique – safari experience, with the rare opportunity to see the black rhino. The lodge has traversing access to the whole of Pilanesberg, including the Black Rhino Game Reserve and the park’s limited-access Wilderness Area – established for the protection and breeding of this critically endangered animal, threatened by poaching.
Other successful park conservation initiatives are the Brown Hyena Project and Cheetah Project. The brown hyena is classified near threatened and is at risk due to the mistaken belief that they are harmful to livestock. The cheetah is currently classified vulnerable – though there is call for its reclassification as endangered – and is under threat from poaching, habitat loss, and human-wildlife conflict.
- Getting Here
- Lodge Life
- Need to Know
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to availability|
|Details||1 Jan – 30 Apr 2019||1 May – 31 Aug 2019||1 Sep - 31 Dec 2019|
|per person per night (sharing)||R4 900||R4 490||R5 190|
|per person per night (single)||R6 860||R6 285||R7 266|
|1 Jan - 31 Dec 2020|
|per person per night (sharing)||R4 670|
|per person per night (single)||R6 540|
Arrival & Departure Times
Check-in: 14h00 | Check-out: 11h00
*Deviation to these times by special arrangement only
- Luxury accommodation; all meals; all teas/coffees and soft drinks; local beers, wines, and spirits;
- in-room minibar;
- 2 game activities per day, with drinks and snacks;
- Wi-Fi access;
- 15% VAT
- Gratuities; imported beers, wines, and spirits;
- Lush Boutique purchases;
- Black Rhino Game Reserve entrance fees (R80 per person per stay);
- additional activities;
- gratuities; imported beers, wines and spirits; Lush Boutique purchases; Black Rhino Game Reserve entrance fees; nearby activities; transfers
- *Added to guests’ bills and payable on check-out
- A 25% deposit within 14 days of making a reservation secures it, and the balance of payment is due 30 days prior to arrival.
- For reservations made 45 days or more in advance of the arrival date, full payment is due within 1 week of booking.
- Cancellation Terms.
In the event of a confirmed reservation being cancelled, the following cancellation fees will be charged:
- 30 – 45 days prior to arrival: 25% of total reservation value
- 15 – 29 days prior to arrival: 80% of total reservation value
- 1 – 14 days prior to arrival: 100% of total reservation value
- All-inclusive: three meals per day, and afternoon tea; all teas/coffees and soft drinks; local beers, wines, and spirits;
- in-room minibar;
- Wi-Fi access (all areas);
- lodge activities;
- 15% VAT
gratuities; imported beers, wines and spirits; Lush Boutique purchases; Black Rhino Game Reserve entrance fees; nearby activities; transfers
*Added to guests’ bills and payable on check-out
INTO THE WILD
I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy. – Ernest Hemingway
Lush guarantees you authentic safari adventures to write home about. Exclusive traversing in Black Rhino Reserve and the Pilanesberg’s Wilderness Area offers the opportunity to explore an untouched environment. Access also to the public section of the park increases your chances of encountering a large variety of wildlife.
Game drives, with scenic stops for refreshments – offered by the lodge, on the traditional twice-daily basis
Guided morning bush walks bring you closer to nature – offered by the lodge, on request
Hot-air balloon flights* give you a different perspective on the herds – booked with a trusted tour operator, on request
Golf* at the nearby championship Gary Player and Lost City golf courses, set in parkland and bushveld, respectively – transfers by arrangement
*At an additional cost; please enquire upon making your Lush reservation
Nearest major cities:
- Pretoria – 185km/115mi.
- Johannesburg – 200km/125mi.
- Pilanesberg International Airport – 40km/25mi.
- Lanseria International Airport – 165km/103mi.
- O.R. Tambo International Airport – 230km/143mi.
- From Johannesburg, take the R512 past Hartbeespoort Dam and exit onto the N4 towards Rustenburg
- From Pretoria, take the N1 north and exit onto the N4 towards Rustenburg
- Travel along the N4, then take the R556 (Sun City/Pilanesberg National Park) exit
- Turn right at the stop onto the R556, and continue on towards Sun City
- Pass the Sun City gate and then Sun Village Shopping Centre (both on the right)
- At the four-way stop, turn right onto the R565 Derdepoort road
- Continue on for approx. 27km – the entrance to Black Rhino Game Reserve is on the right
- Friendly gate staff will direct guests on to Lush
SA Express airline locally services Pilanesberg International Airport. The airline offers twice-weekly flights (Mondays and Fridays) connecting Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport and Cape Town International Airport with Pilanesberg. An airport car rental service is available, and lodge transfers can also be arranged.
Book, pay and travel within 30 days
Valid from 01 January –31 December 2019
This special includes -
- A night in a Lush Suite.
- All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Two activities daily with snacks and refreshments
- A selection of soft drinks, teas and coffees, local beers/wines and liquor
- Lodge WIFI is available in selected areas
- Inclusive of Vat
- Park entrance fees (R100 pppd)
- All items of a personal nature
Proof of SADC Residency will need to be provided
Lush is a contemporary lodge, shaped around the environment. In fact, it is a shepherd’s tree – sheltered from the wind and warmed by the morning sun, between hill and plain – that marked the position of the main lodge. Its minimalistic décor and natural finishes put the focus on the view, which at once draws you outside. With this in mind, multi-level interior-flowing-to-exterior spaces are designed for outdoor living. Spend time between safari activities reading or playing board games on the couches, sipping coffee in the bar lounge – a favourite spot to rendezvous at any time of day – or stargazing from the deck.
- Bar lounge serving the lodge’s own brand of specialty coffee, and a selection of local and international wines, beers, and spirits
- Open-plan dining and lounge area warmed by two fireplaces in the cooler months
- Breakfast bar for guests to help themselves to beverages and buffet choices
- Viewing/dining deck with tables set out for meal times, coffee breaks, and sundowners
- Boma for social outdoor dinners, with a barbeque, central firepit, and dining tables
- Lush Boutique offering a range of select items for guests to take home something of their time here
- Complimentary Wi-Fi with access throughout the lodge
Average temperatures in mid summer (January) range from a low of 19°C/66°F to a high of 31°C/88°F, and in midwinter (July) from a low of 4°C/39°F to a high of 21°C/70°F.
Average annual rainfall is 622mm/24in, and usually occurs in the form of afternoon thundershowers during the period from December to March.
WHAT TO WEAR AND PACK
Comfort is the order of the day, though you may wish to dress more elegantly for dinner i.e. sport shirts and slacks for men, dresses or blouses and pants for women. For game drives and bush walks, wearing neutral-coloured, natural fibre clothing is recommended, and we suggest packing the following items to ensure you are all set for your safari experience:
- Sturdy walking shoes
- Warm pullover and windproof jacket (evenings and the winter months can be chilly)
- Sun hat, sunglasses, and high-SPF sunscreen and lip balm
- Insect repellent (provided by the lodge, though you may wish to bring along your preferred brand)
- Camera, video camera, spare memory cards, and charging equipment
- Waterproof bag for personal items
…happens in your own time. But the outline below gives guests an idea of what to expect
|Spring & Summer||Autumn & Winter|
|05h00 – Wake-up call||05h45 – Wake-up call|
|05h30 – Tea/coffee||06h15 – Tea/coffee|
|05h45 – Morning game drive (±3 hours)||06h30 – Morning game drive (±3 hours)|
|09h00 – Continental buffet and cooked breakfast is served back at the lodge||09h30 – Continental buffet and cooked breakfast is served back at the lodge|
|At leisure||At leisure|
|13h00 – Light lunch is served||13h00 – Light lunch is served|
|16h00 – Afternoon tea is served||15h30 – Afternoon tea is served|
|16h30 – Afternoon game drive (±3 hours)||16h00 – Afternoon game drive (±3 hours)|
|20h00 – Dinner is served back at the lodge, in the dining room/on the deck/out in the boma||19h30 – Dinner is served back at the lodge, in the dining room/on the deck/out in the boma|
LUXURY IN THE BUSH
Choose from three Bush-Facing and two Mountain-Facing Suites – distinguished only by their views. Covered walkways lead to each, interspersed between the trees and with their own private entrances. Wilderness-inspired interiors, innovative use of space, and extended fold-back glass doors mean you feel immersed in nature even when in your suite. Their décor gives a nod to the Lupini’s Italian heritage, though much of the furnishing is local, supporting South African artisans. Designed with every comfort in mind, your Suite is not simply a base from which to explore the surrounds, but a living space.
- Emperor-sized bed, convertible to ¾-bed set, with down duvet and pillows
- Pause area with well-stocked Smeg minibar, and Nespresso machine and coffee pods
- In-room, free-standing bath with a view
- Walk-in rain shower with botanical-infused body products
- Open-air shower made private by curved walls and bushveld foliage
- Bathrobes of terry cotton and full-length
- Hairdryer with two speed and three temperature settings
- Air-conditioning, personally adjustable
- Private splash pool and deck, with cushioned loungers and two-seater table
Please note: children 12 years and older are welcome; age restriction is revisable when the lodge is booked exclusively
WITH A SPRINKLE OF ITALIAN FLAIR
Dining is an essential part of the Lush experience. Days here are punctuated by culinary delights – as anticipated as the activities. All menus celebrate fresh, seasonal ingredients in freshly prepared dishes. The Lupini family ethos of cooking now for now ensures consistent quality and satisfaction. Dining options range from light and healthy to downright indulgent, but special dietary requirements – including vegetarian and gluten-free – are catered for on request. Private dining can also be arranged.
- Breakfast – continental buffet and cooked meals to order
- Lunch – lighter meals that do not skimp on flavour
- Afternoon tea – spreads of sweet and savoury treats
- Dinner – chef’s signature tables and fireside barbecues